Courtney S. Coleman
- Professor of Mathematics, Harvey Mudd College and Claremont Graduate School.
- A.B., University of California (Berkeley) 1951
- Ph.D., Princeton University 1955
- Instructor, Princeton University 1954-55
- Assistant Professor Wesleyan University 1955-59
- Research Mathematician, Research Institute for Advanced Studies (Martin-Marietta Co.) 1958-59, 1963-64
- NSF Science Faculty Fellow, Oxford University, 1979-1980
- Visiting Professor of Mathematics, Oxford University and Tecnopolis, Bari, Italy, 1986-87
- Assistant, Associate, Full Professor, Harvey Mudd College, 1959-present.
- Chairman, Harvey Mudd Department of Mathematics [several terms]
- Director, Harvey Mudd Mathematics Clinic, 1977-78
Some Recent Professional Activities
- "Poe's Pendulum'', with R.L. Borrelli and D.D. Hobson, it Math. Mag, 58 (1985), 78-83.
- "Dynamical Equivalence and Unbounded Polynomial Differential
Systems'',it Nonlin. Anal., Theory, Meth., Appl., 12(1988), 1257-1261.
- "Combat Models'', "Hilbert's 16th Problem: How Many Cycles'',
"Biological Cycles and the Five-Fold Way'', "Quadratic Population Models:
Almost Never Any Cycles'', chapters in Differential Equation
Models edited by M. Braun, C.S. Coleman, D.A. Drew, V. 1 of Modules
in Applied Mathematics, edited by W. Lucas, Springer-Verlag, 1983.
- Differential Equations: A Modeling Approach, with
R.L. Borrelli [Prentice-Hall, 1987].
- Co-translator and editor of Local Methods in Nonlinear
Differential Equations, A.D. Bruno, 350 pp., Springer-Verlag,
[Russian original published in Moscow, 1979].
- "Models for Applied Analysis -- A Handbook for Projects'', with
R.L. Borrelli and J. Becker (1980).
- Editorial Boards: it Journal of Differential Equations, UMAP
Journal, AMS Comm. on Transl. from Russian, Interface.
- Faculty advisor for Math Clinic projects: most recently
for a project with NASA on "Real-time predictions of aircraft wing flutter'',
- Faculty advisor for the preparation of a handbook of computer
problems in applied differential equations (current).
- Delivered a set of forty lectures on mathematical models for an
audience of graduate mathematicians at Tecnopolis, Bari, Italy (1985, 1987).
- Co-author (with R.L. Borrelli and W. Boyce), Differential
Workbook (to be published by Wiley).
- Associate Director, Mathematical Contest in Modeling, 1988-.