Computers are used everywhere in industry to create numerous products.
These are just a few examples of possible applications, along with some
web sites where these ideas are put into practice.
- Visualization of Data Sets
- When you have a large set of data, it is often easiest to view that
data by means of a graphics utility. Once the data is plotted,
functions can be performed to analyze the data for more information.
- Visualization of New Products
- Before spending the capital to create a new product, companies
generally wish to view what their final product will look like. By
created models of the product, analysts can view, modify, and test new
products before ever producing them.
- Automation of Sectional Drawings
- When a large three dimensional blue print is created, numerous
two dimensional cross sections may be required. A computer can properly
divide up the image and create the necessary drawings, saving time and
- Design of Pipe Systems
- In many structures, the piping systems required for separate water,
air, and other systems become to complex to keep accurate track of.
Computer graphics allow the users to carefully map and maintain these
- Modeling of Smooth Surfaces
- One of the more powerful applications of Differential Geometry,
smooth surfaces require numerous polygons to view their surfaces.
Computer graphics allow the viewing and manipulation of these complex
- Production and Quality Control
- By modeling a manufacturer's practices through computer, a program
can help monitor both the production and quality of the product. It can
also assist in streamlining these processes.
- Drawing of Charts and Maps
- One of the more common uses of graphical designing, computers can
make the production of needed maps a simple matter of pushing a few
- Motion Planning in Robotics
- By using computers to map possible movements, designers can create
mroe durable robots that can properly perform their tasks.
- Planning of Surgery
- By viewing a three dimensional model of the human body, surgeons can
plan ways to safely conduct their surgery with the least amount of
invasion to the body.
A few more website dealing with Computer Aided Geometric Design:
- Film Animation
- One of the more popular applications, computer graphical design
systems allow producers to create, edit, and adjust a movie simply and
- The Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics. (Alternate site
Minnesota Geometry Center
- More graphics
Mathematica Graphics Gallery
Surf: Visualizing Real Algebraic Geometry
If you know of a web site that you think relates to differential
geometry or computer aided geometric design, please