Letters of RecommendationIf I have agreed to write a recommendation for you, please give me a folder containing
- a unofficial copy of your transcript,
- a copy of your personal statement (if applicable),
- all necessary forms, and
- addressed HMC Math Dept envelopes (see Jocelyn Olds-McSpadden) without stamps.
- What is your name, year, and major?
- For what are you applying (e.g., scholarship, graduate school, summer research experience)? List the programs to which you are applying, together with due dates.
- How long have I known you (years and months), and what is my relationship to you (instructor, research advisor, etc.)?
- For what classes have I had you, what final grades did I assign you, and how did you distinguish yourself in my classes?
- How would you describe yourself? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Your response to this question is very important to me, so the more details the better.
- What are some of your academic and nonacademic accomplishments?
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this position/honor/award?
- What are your long term goals and will this position/honor/award help? If so, how?
- Additional comments (REU's, summer research, interesting jobs, hobbies, etc.)?
Department of Mathematics
Harvey Mudd College