Lesley A. Ward
Associate Professor of Mathematics, Harvey Mudd College
- Yale University, Ph.D., May 1994.
- Yale University, M.Phil., May 1992.
- Yale University, M.S., May 1989.
- Institut Mittag-Leffler, Stockholm, Sweden, Sept-Dec 1990.
- Australian National University, B.Sc. (First Class Honours) in
Pure Mathematics, May 1987.
Honours and Awards:
- MAA Alder Award
for Distinguished Teaching by a Beginning College or University
Mathematics Faculty Member, 2006. HMC
Visiting Fellowship, National Institute for Engineering and
Information Sciences (NIEIS),
Australian National University, Semester 1, 2004.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, MSRI, Program in Complex Dynamics and
Hyperbolic Geometry, Jan-June 1995.
- Yale Prize Teaching Fellowship, Sept 1991-May 1992.
- Yale University Fellowship, 1987-1991.
- ANU Postbachelor Travelling Scholarship, 1987-1990.
- National Undergraduate Scholarship, ANU, 1982-1986.
- Caltex Woman Graduate of the Year State Prize (New South Wales), 1986.
- Hanna Neumann Prize, Australian National University, 1986.
- Tillyard Prize, Australian National University, 1986.
Some Previous Work Experience:
- G. C. Evans Instructor, Rice University, 1994-1997.
- Teaching Fellow, Yale University, 1987-1993.
- Center for Talented Youth, John Hopkins University, July, 1990;
- President of Students' Association, ANU, Dec 84-Nov 85.
- Assistant Research Officer, International Branch,
Department of Science,
Australian Public Service, Feb-July 87.
- Gave undergraduate course on Wavelets, at PCMI 2003
(Harmonic Analysis and PDEs).
- With Cristina Pereyra, gave undergraduate course on Harmonic
Analysis: from Fourier to Haar,
at the PWM in May 2004
(Analysis and Nonlinear PDEs). Book in progress.
- Mt Baldy Conference on Analysis, HMC, 20 November 1999.
- Speaker at Engaging
Young Mathematicians: An NSF Workshop on majors
and the transition to graduate work (organized by
One of two speakers on the panel Cultivating graduate students in
the liberal arts environment.
12-13 August, 2005.
- Member, AWM Long-Range Planning Committee, Fall 2004-present.
- Assocation for Women in Mathematics AWM-NSF Travel Grants
1999--2000. Chair, May 2000 cycle.
Co-PI on NSF grant proposal for renewal of AWM-NSF Travel
Grants funding for 2001--4.
Click on the title of a paper to see the abstract.
* indicates an HMC undergraduate co-author.
There are .pdf versions of the Farahat--LoFaro--Miller--Rae--Ward paper
on Web search algorithms, and of the Snipes--Ward AASF paper.
- BMO from dyadic BMO
on the bidisc, with Jill Pipher.
In preparation. 31 pages.
- Convergence properties of
harmonic measure distributions for planar domains,
with Marie A. Snipes*.
Submitted, June 2005.
- Authority rankings
from HITS, PageRank, and SALSA:
Existence, uniqueness, and effect
with Ayman Farahat, Thomas LoFaro,
Joel C. Miller*, and Gregory Rae*.
Here is the PDF version of
the FLMRW paper.
January 2005. To appear, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing (SISC).
- A harmonic
measure interpretation of the arithmetic-geometric mean, with
Byron L. Walden.
Submitted, June 2003. To appear in the American Mathematical Monthly,
subject to revisions. 9 pages.
- Realising step functions as
harmonic measure distributions of planar domains,
with Marie A. Snipes*.
Here is the PDF version of
the Snipes--Ward AASF paper.
Ann. Acad. Sci. Fenn. Math., Vol 30 (2005), 353--360.
- Translation averages of
dyadic weights are not always good weights.
Revista Matematica Iberoamericana, Vol. 18 (2002), No. 2, 379--407.
- Modifications of
Kleinberg's HITS algorithm using matrix exponentiation and web log
with Joel C. Miller*, Gregory Rae*, Fred Schaefer*,
Thomas LoFaro, and Ayman Farahat.
Proceedings of the
SIGIR2001 Conference, New Orleans, September 2001, 444--445.
- Asymptotic behaviour
of distributions of harmonic measure for planar domains,
with Byron L. Walden.
Complex Variables: Theory and Applications,
Vol. 46 (2001), 157--177.
- Fuchsian groups,
quasiconformal groups, and conical limit sets,
with Peter W. Jones.
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., Vol. 352 (2000), 311--362.
(MSRI preprint No. 1996-024.)
- Quasisymmetrically thick
sets, with Susan G. Staples.
Ann. Acad. Sci. Fenn. Ser. A I Math., Vol. 23 (1998), 151--168.
Muckenhoupt weights, and resolvents of paraproducts,
with M. Cristina Pereyra.
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., Vol. 126 (1998), 135--144.
(MSRI preprint No. 1996-031.)
of harmonic measure for planar domains, with Byron L. Walden,
in Proceedings of the 16th Nevanlinna Colloquium, Joensuu,
Eds. Laine and Martio, Walter de Gruyter & Co. (1995), 289--299.
(UNSW Pure Mathematics Report PM95/21.)
- On the conical limit set
of a complex hyperbolic group, with
Gaven J. Martin.
Mathematics Research Report No. MRR 046-95,
Centre for Mathematics and its Applications, ANU, Canberra, 1995.
- (Non-mathematical) Choice, active learning, and women's
experiences in post-secondary education,
in `The Learner in Higher Education: A Forgotten Species?',
Miller, A.H. and Sasche-Akerlind, G. (eds.), Sydney, 1987.
- (Non-mathematical) Equity Goals,
in `Student Assistance for the Disadvantaged: Practice and Prospect',
Commonwealth Department of Education, Canberra, 1986.
- Invited speaker, Annual
Meeting, Southwestern Section of the MAA and ArizMATYC, University
of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona. The Harvey Mudd College Mathematics
Clinic. April 2006.
- Invited speaker, Celebration of Women in
MSE, College of the Redwoods, Eureka, California. Introduction
to Wavelets. April 2005.
- Invited speaker, Conference on Complex Hyperbolic Geometry and
Discrete Groups, March 1998, Okayama University of Science, Okayama,
- American Math Society: (i) Harmonic Analysis session, AMS Eastern
Section meeting in Williamstown, MA, March 2002; (ii) Complex Analysis
session, AMS Central Section meeting in Lawrence, KS, March 2001;
(iii) Conformal Analysis session, AMS regional meeting in Chattanooga,
TN, October 1996; (iv) Quasiconformal Mappings session, AMS/MAA Joint
Meetings, January 1994.
- Other conference talks: New Mexico Analysis Seminar, March 6--8,
- Analysis Seminars/Colloquia: Rice University; MSRI; Yale
University; Australian National University (4); Macquarie University;
University of Texas at Austin; CUNY Graduate Center; Vassar College;
Emory University; University of California at Davis; Joint Colloquium,
Sydney University and University of New South Wales; Texas A&M
University; Texas Christian University; IMPA (Rio de Janeiro);
University of New Mexico (2); Claremont Colleges Colloquium (3);
University of Southern California; University of Durham, UK; UCLA (2);
Cal State Fresno; Santa Clara University; UC Irvine; Universite de
Paris-Sud XI, Orsay; University of Arkansas, Fayetteville; University
of New England, Armidale, Australia; IAS/Princeton Program for Women
in Mathematics; Cal State Univ. Long Beach; Cal Poly San Luis Obispo;
University of Arizona.
- Other: Wavelets talk for general audience (`cross-program') at
Park City Math Institute; Reunion address for Enhancing Diversity in
Graduate Education (EDGE) Program; Math Workshops at Society for Women
Engineers (SWE) Women Engineers and Scientists of Tomorrow (WEST)
conferences for high school girls, HMC; Yale Math Club; Rice Women In
Science and Engineering; Southern Connecticut State University Math
Club; Women and Maths Group of Warwick University.
Ayman Farahat (PriceWaterhouseCoopers)
Peter Jones (Yale Univ.)
Tom LoFaro (Gustavus Adolphus College)
Gaven Martin (Massey Univ.)
Joel Miller (Cambridge Univ.)
Cristina Pereyra (Univ. of New Mexico)
Jill Pipher (Brown Univ.)
Greg Rae (Google)
Fred Schaefer (Oregon State Univ.)
Marie Snipes (Univ. of Michigan)
Susan Staples (Texas Christian Univ.)
Byron Walden (Santa Clara Univ.)
- Faculty Executive Committee, HMC, 2004--6.
- Curriculum Committee, Claremont Intercollegiate Women's Studies
several semesters during 2001--6.
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Faculty Sponsor, HMC, 1998--2000.
- Organizer of Math Major Night, HMC, 2000--1, 2005.
- Development of new Math Core curriculum, HMC, 1997--9.
- Organizer of Math Grad School Info Night, Claremont, 1997--2001, 2005.
- Faculty Associate, Brown College, Rice University, 1996--7.
- Graduate Committee, Dept. of Math., Rice University, 1995--7.
- Pre-thesis Advisor, Dept. of Math., Rice University, 1996.
- Undergraduate Colloquium, Dept. of Math., Rice University, 1995--6.
- Graduate Teaching Seminar, Dept. of Math., Rice University, 1995.
- Presentation about mathematics to 5th graders, Rice School, 1994.
- Current Math Seminar, Dept. of Math., Rice University, 1994--5.
- Women in Science and Engineering Group (WISE), Faculty Sponsor,
Rice University, 1994--5.
| Math Department |
Ward home page |
Last modified: May 2006