Impressive Facts about the HMC Mathematics Department
College Factual Names Mudd Math as the #1 Program in the US
In 2014, College Factual ranks Mudd Mathematics as the best mathematics program in the US. USA Today's College section had a feature article on the rankings.
American Mathematical Society Award
Our department was awarded the very first Award for Exemplary Program by the American Mathematical Society for the strength of our overall program. We were selected to receive this award out of all the colleges and universities in North America!
We Do Well in Preparing Our Students for Graduate School
- In recent years about 60% of our math majors go on to Ph.D. programs, surely the highest of any college or university in the nation.
- Almost all of these students received full tuition scholarships and received additional financial support through research and/or teaching fellowships.
- In the past five years, our graduating seniors have been accepted to graduate schools in mathematics, applied mathematics, computer science, physics, and economics at Princeton, MIT, Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, Chicago, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Berkeley, UCLA, Wisconsin, U. Penn, Brown, Caltech, just to name a few.
- One reason for our success is that we give every math major a research experience.
We Also Do Well Placing Our Students in Nonacademic Jobs
- Recent math majors have gone on to jobs at Google, consulting, finance, software engineering, high-school teaching, actuarial science, policy analysis, and many other interesting careers.
Our Students and Graduates Do Well in Fellowship Competitions
- We have had as many as five math seniors win prestigious NSF fellowships for graduate study in one year!
- Our math majors have won Watson Fellowships for travel and study abroad after graduation.
- One year we had both a Rhodes Scholar and a Churchill Scholar among our senior majors!
We Give Our Students Real Research Experiences
- Every math major has a research experience before they graduate, in the form of a Senior Thesis (research in a faculty member's area) or a Clinic (industry-sponsored project).
- Faculty often jointly author papers with students (more than 20 papers in the last three years).
- Many of our students also independently author papers.
- A Mudd math major, Joshua Greene, won the AMS-MAA-SIAM Morgan Prize (given to one undergraduate in the nation for outstanding research). Another Mudd math major, Aaron Archer won an Honorable Mention in this competition.
Our Students Have Fun with (and Do Well in) Mathematical Competitions!
- In the Putnam Mathematical Competition, our HMC team has placed as high as third nationwide!
- HMC is the only undergraduate college in the last 30 years to have placed in the Putnam Top 5 schools (and we've done it twice).
- Harvey Mudd College often outperforms nearly all other schools in participation and numbers of Top-100 finishers on the Putnam by percentage.
More Fun with Mathematical Competitions!
- HMC leads all other colleges and universities in the number of ICM and MCM (Interdisciplinary and Mathematical Competition in Modeling) Outstanding awards won. Each year the MCM awards Outstanding to the top 10–12 papers from over 600 entries. As many as three HMC teams have won this highest honor at the same time!
- HMC teams have also won special recognition from SIAM and INFORMS for their solutions.
- A team of three HMC math and math/CS majors won the International ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Programming contest, topping more than 1000 schools worldwide, and the first undergraduate institution ever to win in the competition's 50-year history.
Our Faculty Are Outstanding, and Are Dedicated to Our Students
- Our regular faculty hold Ph.D.'s from some of the best programs in their research areas.
- Nearly all our faculty have won teaching awards at their previous institutions, and some have won national awards.
- Many of our faculty have won National Science Foundation Research Awards.
Other Interesting Facts about Math at Mudd
- A Mudd math major won College Jeopardy, which helped to fund the RIF Mathematics scholarship.
- Many of our students present their research work at national meetings.
- Many of our majors study abroad.
- The median SAT Math score of entering freshmen at HMC is 770.
- The most basic course we teach is an accelerated calculus course.
- We offer graduate-level courses in conjunction with Claremont Graduate University and the other Claremont Colleges, so our students never run out of courses.
- We are the only undergraduate institution in the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (headquartered at UCLA), which is one of three mathematical institutes in the U.S. funded by the National Science Foundation.