Email address: email@example.com
This web page: http://www.math.hmc.edu/~dyong/cv.html
Current mailing address: Department of Mathematics, Harvey Mudd College, 301 Platt Blvd, Claremont, CA 91711
ORCID / ResearchGate /
University of Washington,
Ph.D. in Applied
Mathematics, June 2000
Field of Specialty: Perturbation theory (Multiple-scale analysis)
Other interests: Numerical analysis, Ordinary and Partial differential equations
- Washington NASA Space Foundation Grant recipient, 1996-97
- Huckabay Teaching Fellow, 1998-1999
- VIGRE graduate fellowship, 1999-2000
Claremont Graduate School, Claremont,
M.S. in Applied Mathematics, Jan-June 1996
Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, California
B.S. in Mathematics, completed requirements for B.A. in Music,
Sept 1992-June 1996
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY (listed in reverse chronological order)
Claremont Colleges Center for
Teaching and Learning, Claremont, California, Interim Inaugural Director, 2016-current (on leave from HMC).
Harvey Mudd College, Department of Mathematics, Claremont, California, Professor, 2015-current, Associate dean for diversity, 2011-2016.
Harvey Mudd College, Department of Mathematics, Claremont, California, Associate professor, 2009-2015.
Helen Bernstein High School, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles, California, High school teacher, 2009-2010 (while on sabbatical from HMC).
Note: Here's a talk I gave on my experience.
Harvey Mudd College, Department of Mathematics, Claremont, California, Assistant professor, 2003-2009.
California Institute of Technology, Applied and Computational Mathematics, Pasadena, California, von Karman Instructor, 2001-2003.
Harvey Mudd College, Department of Mathematics, Claremont, California, Visiting assistant professor, 2000-2001.
Harvey Mudd College, Claremont,
California (2000-2002, 2003-current)
- Linear Algebra I (Math 12, Math 40)
- Ordinary Differential Equations I (Math 13, Math 45)
- Multivariable Calculus I (Math 14, Math 60)
- Linear Algebra and Calculus (Math 25)
- Multivariable Calculus (Math 60)
- Ordinary Differential Equations II (Math 64)
- Differential Equations and Linear Algebra II (Math 65)
- Fourier Analysis and Boundary-Value Problems (Math 115)
- Complex Variables and Integral Transforms (Math 136)
- Scientific Computing (Math 164)
- Numerical Analysis (Math 165)
- Introduction to Partial Differential Equations (Math 180)
- Seminar on Mathematical Communication (Math 189c)
- Applied Mathematics for Engineering (Engr 72/Math 72)
- Introduction to Academic Writing (Writ 1)
- Seminar on math and science education (IE 142/197)
- Social Justice and Equity: STEM and Beyond (IE 179)
California Institute of Technology (Applied and Computational Mathematics), Pasadena,
- Introductory Applied Mathematics (ACM 95bc), Winter & Spring 2003.
- Methods of Applied Mathematics (ACM 101abc), Fall 2001; Winter & Spring 2002. (During this year I receved an ASCIT Teaching Award.)
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington (1998-2000)
- Applied Linear Algebra and Numerical Analysis (Amath 352), Spring 1998; Summer 1998-99.
- Communication in the Mathematical Sciences (Amath 500D), new course developed as a Huckabay Teaching Fellow.
- Introduction to Methods in Applied Mathematics III (Amath 403), Spring 1999.
- Introduction to Methods in Applied Mathematics I (Amath 401), Fall 1999.
- Bowen Kerins, Benjamin Sinwell, Darryl Yong, Al Cuoco, and Glenn Stevens, Applications of Algebra and Geometry to the Work of Teaching, American Mathematical Society, 2015, 205 pp., ISBN-13: 978-1-4704-1924-0.
- Bowen Kerins, Darryl Yong, Al Cuoco, and Glenn Stevens, Famous Functions in Number Theory, American Mathematical Society, 2015, 216 pp., ISBN-13: 978-1-4704-2195-3.
- Bowen Kerins, Darryl Yong, Al Cuoco, Glenn Stevens, and Mary Pilgrim, Some Applications of Geometry Thinking, American Mathematical Society, 2016, ISBN-13: 978-1-4704-2925-6.
- Bowen Kerins, Darryl Yong, Al Cuoco, Glenn Stevens, and Mary Pilgrim, Moving Things Around, American Mathematical Society, 2016, ISBN-13: 978-1-4704-2926-3.
- D. Yong, R. Levy, N. Lape, "Why No Difference? A Controlled Flipped Classroom Study for an Introductory Differential Equations Course", PRIMUS, 25:9-10 (October 2015): 907-921, DOI: 10.1080/10511970.2015.1031307.
- N. Lape, R. Levy, D. Yong, "Probing the Inverted Classroom: A Study of Teaching and Learning Outcomes in Engineering and Mathematics", SEI Case Study Series, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, to appear.
- N. Lape, R. Levy, D. Yong, K. Haushalter, R. Eddy, N. Hankel, "Probing the Inverted Classroom: A Controlled Study of Teaching and Learning Outcomes in Undergraduate Engineering and Mathematics", 2014 ASEE Annual Conference, http://www.asee.org/public/conferences/32/papers/9475/view.
- N. Lape, R. Levy, D. Yong, "Can Flipped Classrooms Help Students Learn?", Slate, Future Tense, April 25, 2014.
- L. Bassman, D. Yong, 'Studio' Mathematics for Undergraduate Engineers, ANZIAM Journal (Proceedings of Engineering Mathematics and Applications Conference), 55, C266-281, 2014.
- D. Yong, Adventures in Teaching: A Professor Goes to High School to Learn about Teaching Math, Notices of the AMS, 59:10 (November 2012), 1408-1415.
- M. Cagle, J. Frost, C. Latulippe, D. Yong, "A Space-Filling, Nonregular Tetrahedron," ComMuniCator (California Mathematics Council), 35:4 (June 2011), 52-55.
- S. Uno, D. Yong, N. Mori, Sum Rules and Universality in Electron-Modulated Acoustic Phonon Interaction in a Free-standing Semiconductor Plate, Phys Rev B, 79:23 (2009).
- D. Yong, "Mathematics of Voting," ComMuniCator (California Mathematics Council), 31:1 (September 2008), 49-52.
- D. Yong, M. Orrison, Imagine Math Day: Encouraging Secondary School Students and Teachers to Engage in Authentic Mathematical Discovery, FOCUS (Mathematical Association of America), 28:6 (August/September 2008), 24-27.
- D. Yong, String, Chains and Ropes, SIAM Review, 48:4 (2006), 771-781.
- L. Reddick, W. Jacobson, A. Linse, D. Yong, A Framework for Inclusive Teaching in STEM Disciplines, in Teaching Inclusively: Teaching Inclusively: Resources for Course, Department and Institutional Change in Higher Education, edited by Matt Ouellett, New Forums Press, Stillwater, OK, 2005.
- R. LeVeque, D. Yong, Solitary waves in layered nonlinear media, SIAM Journal on Applied Math, 63:5 (2003), 1539-1560.
- R. LeVeque, D. Yong, Phase Plane Behavior of Solitary Waves in Nonlinear Layered Media, Proc. 10th Intl. Conf. on Hyperbolic Problems, 2002.
- K. Spaulding, D. Yong, A. D. Kim, N. Kutz, Nonlinear dynamics of mode-locking optical fiber ring lasers, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 19 (2002), 1045-1054.
- D. Yong, J. Kevorkian, Solving boundary-value problems for systems of hyperbolic conservation laws with rapidly varying coefficients, Studies in Applied Mathematics, 108 (2002), 259-303.
- D. Yong, J. Kevorkian, Initial Boundary-Value Problems for a Pair of Conservation Laws, Studies in Applied Mathematics, 108 (2001), 351-368.
- I. Spitkovsky, D. Yong, Almost periodic factorization of certain block triangular matrix functions, Math. Comp., 69 (2000), 1053-1070.
- Co-PI for NSF DUE Grant 1439917, "Math for America Los Angeles: Putting Research into Practice to Raise Teacher Quality and Retention and Student Performance," with PI Karen Gallagher and co-PI Scott Thomas; effective September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2019; est $2.7m (includes cost share). Please see www.mathforamerica.org/la for more information.
- Co-PI for NSF DUE Grant 1244786, "Probing the Inverted Classroom: A Controlled Study of Teaching and Learning Outcomes in Undergraduate Chemistry, Engineering, and Mathematics", with PI Nancy Lape, co-PIs Rachel Levy and Karl Haushalter; effective October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2016; $222,844. Please see invertedclassroomstudy.g.hmc.edu for more information.
- Co-PI for NSF DUE Grant 1239919, "Claremont Colleges Collaborative for Mathematics and Science Education: Phase II Noyce Project," with PI David Drew and Co-PI Lisa Loop; effective October 1, 2012 to Sept 30, 2017; $798,750.
- Co-PI for NSF DUE Grant 1136415, "Math for America Los Angeles: Empowering Master Teachers to be Instructional and Institutional Change Agents," with PI Karen Gallagher, Co-PI Margaret Grogan; effective October 1, 2011 to Sept 30, 2017; est $3.3m award (includes cost share). Please see www.mathforamerica.org/la for more information.
- Co-PI for NSF DUE Grant 0934923, "Math for America Los Angeles: Improving Student Achievement by Focusing on Teacher Quality, Preparation and Professional Development," with PI Karen Gallagher, Co-PI Margaret Grogan; effective July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2014; est. $1,500,000 award. Please see www.mathforamerica.org/la for more information.
- PI for NSF DUE Grant 0717490, "Online Resources to Improve the Teaching and Learning of Differential Equations: Encouraging the Wide-Spread Use of Modeling and Computing", Co-PI Robert Borrelli, effective September 1, 2007 to August 31, 2013, est $499,792 award. Please see www.codee.org for more information.
- Co-PI for NSF DUE Grant 0532064, "The Claremont College Robert Noyce Collaborative: Recruiting Academically Distinguished and Diverse Mathematics and Science Teachers for Poor Urban Schools", effective October 1, 2005 to September 30, 2012, est $552,781 award.
- J. Egan, L. Gordon, M. Hunt, M. Pavlovskaia, T. Pham, W. Tipton, D. Yong, "Camera-Based Document Imaging," US 20100073735 A1.
- Member of Steering Committee for Math for America Los Angeles, August 2007-present.
- Member of the Board of Directors for the School of Arts and Enterprise, Aug 2014-present.
- Staff member for the Secondary School Teacher Program at the Park City Mathematics Institute summer program, 2006-present.
- Co-director for the HMC Professional Development and Outreach (PDO) Group, 2004-2010.
- Co-organizer for Critial Issues in Mathematics Education workshop at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, March 26-28, 2014.
- Member of the MAA Classroom Resource Materials Editorial Board, January 1, 2014-present.
- Member of the editorial board for the CODEE Journal, 2009-present.
- Member of the Committee on Academic Freedom, Tenure, and Employment Security of the American Mathematical Society, 2015-present.
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Institute for Figuring, March 2013-present.
Last modified: Fri Jun 24 11:28:06 Pacific Daylight Time 2016